Using Landscaping to Prevent Water Damage
The truth is — water damage is likely going to effect every homeowner at some point. Although many property owners do their due diligence by waterproofing certain spots, landscaping is an often overlooked aspect of preventing water damage. ServiceMaster Restore is exploring a few tips that could save you big bucks in the long run.
How Landscaping Prevents Water Damage
When a major storm rolls through, the ground becomes saturated with moisture. Because it can only absorb so much water, the excess collects and runs off. Water follows a downhill trajectory, which means that any run off will ultimately soak anything in its way.
Certain landscaping elements can go a long way in preventing water damage to your home and its surrounding fixtures.
How to Prevent Water Damage With Landscaping
With these facts in mind, you want to ensure that your landscaping is helping rather than hurting. Use these tips to optimize your landscaping and prevent a water loss:
- Construct landscaping so that it slopes away from your home by at least ten feet.
- Ensure that all excess water flows away from the house, not toward it.
- Keep drainage ditches, vents, and pipes clear of obstructions.
- Inspect gutters and downspouts for proper functionality. Channel water down and away from the main dwelling.
- Trim trees and shrubs close to the house. Anything growing against the side of the home can result in water draining from the plant and down the outside of the property. This wear and tear can eventually spring a major leak.
Landscaping Tips for your Driveway
Do not forget about your driveway and patio when it comes to landscaping. If enough water collects, it needs to be able to run off. Slope driveways away from the house.
Install channel drains around driveways and patios to mitigate water buildup. These drains are found within the concrete, which means that water is caught before it becomes a problem.
For some homeowners, grading the yard may also help in preventing water damage.
Don’t Overlook Your Landscaping
With so many other things going on in life, it can be easy to forget about your landscaping. However, with the proper components and strategy, these elements can work wonders in preventing water damage to the home. Should you need water restoration services as a result of faulty land design, contact ServiceMaster Restore today.